Monday, March 9, 2009

Basketball Belly!

I have always wanted to coach a team. When a 6th grade basketball coaching position became available to me this winter I jumped at the chance. Okay, since I was pregnant I did hesitate with the decision wondering if I would be able to handle being on my feet any longer than needed. I never imagined coaching basketball, soccer was what I had in mind. Obviously, I decided to go for it and am so happy with my decision. The season started out a little rough. First of all, the principal wrote in the school newspaper that I had experience playing both high school and college ball! He must not of heard me correctly when I said I played basketball in grades 7-10. So from the start I had "a lot" of pressure for the team to do well. The veteran staff at my school couldn't remember when either the boys or girls team had won a game. After our first two games the outlook for winning just one game was looking bad. This team of 6 girls were full of energy and determination to do well. Even after losing they had a positive attitude and continued to have fun - what more could you ask for? Winning isn't everything, right? I am a very competitive person and I had to tell myself that too. Well I am thrilled to say that we ended the season with a 4-3 winning record, a new school record!

Jimmy and I are both quite athletic and love pretty much all sports and outdoor activities. It will be interesting to see if Baby Grant follows in our interest in sports. If Baby Grant decides to be a basketball player it could very well have some connection to hearing the sounds of the basketball thumping, the crowd cheering, and the squeak of sneakers on the hardwood all while in growing in my belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment